LAST UPDATED: July 2019
STATEMENT OF COMMITMENT
The Sydney Fringe is committed to providing you with the highest level of customer service. This includes protecting your privacy. On 12 March 2014 amendments to the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 came into force, setting out a number of “Australian Privacy Principles” concerning the protection of your personal information.
This document provides some information about your privacy rights along with some details about our general rights and obligations. We recommend that you keep this leaflet for future reference.
- As an organisation, one of our principal concerns is the welfare of our employees, volunteers and stakeholders. A high level of trust and confidentiality is required to ensure the confidence of our employees, volunteers and stakeholders. We aim to ensure that:
- Your privacy will be protected when accessing our services or visiting our premises;
- The personal information collected about you and retained in our records is correct and up-to-date; and
- You can access your personal information for review on request.
How do we collect personal information?
The Sydney Fringe Festival collects personal information in a number of ways:
- Artist and Venue registration
- Telephone ticket and merchandise sales
- Internet ticket and merchandise sales;
- Via surveys and online platforms (either Sydney Fringe or 3rd Party)
- Registration for the Sydney Fringe Festival E-newsletter’s
- At Sydney Fringe Events eg Photography and Video
- Other voluntary provision of contact details to allow us to telephone, fax, mail or email you about business and activities.
We may collect personal information about you:
a. Directly from you; or
b. From some other person, organisation or agency on your behalf with your consent.
What sort of information do we collect?
The types of information that The Sydney Fringe will collect includes:
- Name and/or company name
- Email address
- Telephone and fax numbers
- Your job title
- Your age group
- Previous Sydney Fringe Festival and arts experiences;
- Art performance preferences
- How you travel to and from the Festival
- How you spend your money at the Festival
- ABN and Bank Account details (only from Sydney Fringe Festival registered artists)
- A Persons image (via Photography and/or video)
Non-Personal Information which may be collected via our website
You can visit the Sydney Fringe Festival website (www.sydneyfringe.com) and browse without the need to disclose any personal information. Your visit to the website is recorded as that of an anonymous individual.
We may preserve the content of any e-mail you send us if we believe we have a legal requirement to do so or are otherwise permitted to do so under the Privacy Act. By using our internet sites you consent to your e-mail message content being monitored by us for trouble-shooting or maintenance purposes or if any form of e-mail abuse is suspected. Personal information, which we collect, may be aggregated for analysis but in such circumstances we would ensure that individuals remain anonymous.
Users should be aware that there are inherent risks transmitting information across the Internet.
Cookies are small text files that may be transferred to a user’s computer hard drive by a website for the purpose of storing information about a user’s identity, browser type or website visiting patterns. Cookies may be used on our website to monitor web traffic, for example the time of visit, pages visited and some system information about the type of computer being used. We may use this information to enhance the content and services offered on our website.
Cookies are sometimes also used to collect information about what pages you visit and the type of software and Internet Service Provider (ISP) you are using. If you access our website or click-through an email we send you, a cookie may be downloaded onto your computer’s hard drive.
Cookies may also be used for other purposes on our website but in each case none of the information collected can be used to personally identify you.
You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is sent. Each browser is different, so check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
We may use Google Analytics to help analyse how you use our website. Google Analytics generates statistical and other information about website use by means of cookies, which are stored on users’ computers. The information generated is used to create reports about the use of our website. Google will store this information.
We will not (and will not allow any third party to) use Google Analytics to track or to collect any personal information of visitors to our website. We will not associate any data gathered from this website with any personal information from any source as part of our use of Google Analytics.
How do we use your personal information?
We may use your personal information for our business functions and activities, which may include using the information for:
Ticket and merchandise purchasers:
- To contact you about your tickets or information about the show/s you have booked e.g. to let you know if a performance is cancelled
- For personal identification when you collect tickets or need lost tickets replaced
- To complete financial transactions e.g. with credit card companies (all transactions are conducted over a secure, encrypted connection)
- To compile data on the preferences of attendees of Sydney Fringe Festival events to improve future services and programming.
Registered Sydney Fringe Festival artists:
- To contact you about bookings and other matters relevant to your event
- To make financial transactions related to your Sydney Fringe Festival event
- To allow the public and accredited members of the media to contact you about your event, if you have consented to this.
- To provide you with further Sydney Fringe Festival information which may be of interest, if you have voluntarily provided your contact details for this purpose
- To contact you in response to your specific Sydney Fringe Festival inquiries’
- For any other reasonable business purpose which will enable the Sydney Fringe Festival to better service your needs or to protect the Sydney Fringe Festival and associated individuals from harm
- For the primary purposes we advise you of at the time of collection of the information by us;
- To advocate on your behalf with government agencies and organisations to obtain other support services and benefits for you;
- As required or authorised by law
- Where there is a serious and imminent threat to your life, health, or safety or a serious threat to public health or public safety
- For secondary purposes which are directly related to the primary purpose of collection of the personal information such as for quality assurance, staff training and as may be required by our insurers
For third party information that you provide to us:
If you provide personal information to us about someone else (such as a family member or friend) you must ensure that you are entitled to disclose that personal information to us.
You should take reasonable steps to ensure that the individual concerned is aware of the various matters detailed in this policy, including our identity, how to contact us, our purposes for collecting the information, our information disclosure practices, the individual’s right to obtain access to the information and to have it corrected, and the consequences for the individual if the information is not provided.
You consent to us using your personal information in the above ways.
We may collect and use your personal information for other purposes not listed above.
Security and storage of personal information
Your personal information may be stored either in hard copy or electronic form in our files and/or IT systems, and/or in the manner described in the terms and conditions of any 3rd parties engaged by the Sydney Fringe to contact you.
You consent to us using your Personal Information for sending you information, including promotional material, about us or our products and services, as well as the products and services of our related entities and third parties, now and in the future.
You also consent to us sending you such information by means of direct mail, telemarketing, email, SMS and MMS messages, and via social media including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You can contact us using the contact details set out in “Contacting us”, below, if you do not want to receive marketing information from us.
How can you help us to ensure that we hold accurate information?
The Sydney Fringe takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. However the accuracy of that information depends largely on the information provided by you. We therefore recommend that you tell us:
- About changes to your personal information such as your address or name; and
- If you become aware of any errors in your personal information.
You can do so by contacting us in any of the ways set out in “Contacting us”, below.
Can you get access to your personal information?
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. You can request access to your personal information by contacting us in any of the ways set out in “Contacting us”, below. We will respond to a request for access, as soon as possible.
Review of Policy
Changes to the policy can be found on the Sydney Fringe Festival website and by contacting the Sydney Fringe Festival.
- wish to make a complaint in relation to a breach of your privacy;
- would like to correct your personal information held by us;
- wish to obtain a copy of your personal information that we hold about you;
- wish to contact us to have your name removed from our distribution lists; or
- wish to otherwise opt out of direct marketing
Please contact the Sydney Fringe: